Friday, November 28, 2014

6 Months Post Hysterectomy

I can honestly say that at the beginning of this year I felt helpless, in pain and hopeless. There was a part of me that just wanted to give up entirely. Endometriosis stole a good portion of my life. I suffered in the hands of the medical system. What makes my journey different, is that in Feb of this year I stood up and said "enough is enough, you're going to listen to me if you like it or not and no I am not taking any more medication!"

I know that a hysterectomy does not cure Endo I say it enough to many people, but for me it was closure. I suffer from C-PTSD and I believe without a doubt a good portion of this is due to the lack of treatment and care for pain I was in for 14 yrs. I was dismissed so many times and made to feel like I was a mental case and if I could go on stage and stand in front of the 40+ doctors that shunned me and made me feel like I was exaggerating my pain I still don't think I would get the mental closure I need from the trauma I experienced.

That being said here I am now 6 months post up and when it comes to Endo and all its sides effects I am doing 100% better. I am not trying to brag about it nor do I know if in a years time I will be the same but at this moment I feel vindicated.

Since surgery in May I have not had too many side effects from surgical menopause. I have about 5 hot flashes a day but I notice I get them from drinking coffee, wine or sudden temperature changes. I have gained around 10 lbs and that is frustrating but at the end of the day who cares. One thing I have noticed is ageing. I look in the mirror and I don't know who I am any more. I feel like I have aged 10 yrs and again, who cares. This disease is relentless and if I can have pain free days from Endo then I can accept the changes that are physically happening due to hormone changes.

One of my big fears have been migraines. I was on the BCP for 8 yrs continuously and only had one migraine during that time and before I was on the BCP I had had them for over 10 yrs, going from Aura, to cluster then to complicated. So I can only assume mine were caused by hormone fluctuations but I am not sure if it was actually estrogen or progesterone as I react very poorly to progesterone.

Bladder changes have kind of stayed the same however I do leak. UGH. I had a lot of bladder and ureter work done so it is expected. My bowels have been touch and go. At first I didn't feel much change but I could totally see the difference now between uterine and bowel pain. Lately I get pretty bad bowel pain and I am constipated but that is nothing new and to be honest I really never expected that to change.

When it comes to my emotions I feel that my case itself is so complex that I can't really gage if its menopause or C-PTSD. I am all over the place. The other day was a bad day but I told myself that I needed to go to sleep and tomorrow would be a new day and it was. So I expect in a years time that maybe things will change in this department.

Overall I am happy with my hysterectomy and the choice I made. It took me 5 yrs and lots of research and even seconds from being put under I still had my doubts. I always sat on the fence. 50/50 were the odds pretty much after you do so much research. I didn't know what I would feel afterwards when it came to menopause and I think that scared me the most. Would it have been for nothing? Would I still suffer after if not more? The answer for me is that it was the best decision and I am extremely happy with the outcome.

I will continue to update because I think it is important to document the journey years after having a hysterectomy because everyone is different.

What are/were your biggest worries about having a hysterectomy? Why do you think it will help you?

No comments:

Post a Comment